In the holy trinity of ever controversial issues, religion remains unmatched by sexuality and politics, intertwined into the everyday life of human beings, deeply spreading its textual roots into the acres of passion and faith that drive followers to believe. A praised vehicle of hope and solidarity, one’s religion usually becomes one’s identity, and is often carefully guarded against criticism like a vulnerable baby in a manger.
As a child, I was raised in a religious household for my grandfather was a pundit, and my parents were steadfastly committed to being “good” Hindus, as in, practising their culture. I attended a Hindu primary school and then graduated to a Catholic secondary school where religiously-relevant prayers were said at least three times per day. I studied Sanskrit Hindi at Sunday school and was a member of Baal Vikas, a competitive Hindu children’s choir. As you can imagine, my developing years were not short on the wisdoms and teachings of many religions. So the question remains, how can someone this deeply involved in his religion not believe?
During my academic career as a university student, I studied South Asian history, hoping to gain enlightenment and understanding of my culture. Although I developed an intense satisfaction towards theories that could be both reasonably and factually supported, I was open-minded to the idea that alternative explanations could smooth over the inconsistencies I discovered in my faith. Unfortunately, they only helped to nail my beliefs to the cross.
If you are Hindu and have been to any number of religious ceremonies, you may often notice that some pundits comment on certain actions being “incorrect” despite being taught by others of the same profession. Other times some rituals may lead you to question their necessity altogether while being simply clarified as “part of the process”. The main reason for these variations can simply be a reflection of Hinduism’s multi-textual foundation, for unlike Christianity and Islam who adhere to the Bible and the Qur’an respectively, Hinduism has no one core book of knowledge or guidelines because in the days it was written, the religion was simply a catalyst of mass manipulation.
Riddled in rewrites, inclusions and exceptions, the rituals of Hinduism changed with the reigning classes, coordinated to benefit the likes of those in charge and to appease their outlook on life and the way it should be lived.
Why then, hundreds of years later, do we submit to such archaic and outdated teachings? If one group of persons finds meaning in a scripture, it does not automatically fulfill the needs and understandings of a mass congregation with differing situations and lifestyles. Humans are not stock characters that can adhere to rules written in stone. How can we allow ourselves to be governed by such ancient mindsets when we constantly reevaluate our own behaviour to the appropriateness of ever changing society?
Furthermore, if we open religion to interpretation, aren’t we no better than the Europeans who used these exact scriptures to justify the enslavement of our ancestors? Personally, I can not give my support to any institution that discriminates and isolates individuals who ask for their acceptance, based purely on gender or sexual orientation. Moreover, what does it mean when the “leaders” preaching these validations not only engage in these affairs but traumatize under-age victims? When is the sanctity of religion broken? Is forgiveness as easy as confession, prayer and repentance? And if so, is our justice system needed? Would you be satisfied if a priest or pundit absolved a criminal of his sins? Do you understand the motives of Holy War?
All these questions constantly reinforce my disbeliefs in the conventions of religion and simultaneously strengthen my faith in God. Live your life with purpose, and respect, and be tolerant of other people’s cultures, lifestyles and ideas, including those who choose to follow their religion. Be responsible for the choices you make and remain aware that while you may follow your ideas, you still live in the real world. Finally, understand if don’t believe in religion, you have not abandoned God and he can hear your prayer from your bedside to the sidewalk. Religion is but a man-made state of control, and by no means a legitimate basis to dictate the suitability of one’s character or lifestyle.
As a child, I was raised in a religious household for my grandfather was a pundit, and my parents were steadfastly committed to being “good” Hindus, as in, practising their culture. I attended a Hindu primary school and then graduated to a Catholic secondary school where religiously-relevant prayers were said at least three times per day. I studied Sanskrit Hindi at Sunday school and was a member of Baal Vikas, a competitive Hindu children’s choir. As you can imagine, my developing years were not short on the wisdoms and teachings of many religions. So the question remains, how can someone this deeply involved in his religion not believe?
During my academic career as a university student, I studied South Asian history, hoping to gain enlightenment and understanding of my culture. Although I developed an intense satisfaction towards theories that could be both reasonably and factually supported, I was open-minded to the idea that alternative explanations could smooth over the inconsistencies I discovered in my faith. Unfortunately, they only helped to nail my beliefs to the cross.
If you are Hindu and have been to any number of religious ceremonies, you may often notice that some pundits comment on certain actions being “incorrect” despite being taught by others of the same profession. Other times some rituals may lead you to question their necessity altogether while being simply clarified as “part of the process”. The main reason for these variations can simply be a reflection of Hinduism’s multi-textual foundation, for unlike Christianity and Islam who adhere to the Bible and the Qur’an respectively, Hinduism has no one core book of knowledge or guidelines because in the days it was written, the religion was simply a catalyst of mass manipulation.
Riddled in rewrites, inclusions and exceptions, the rituals of Hinduism changed with the reigning classes, coordinated to benefit the likes of those in charge and to appease their outlook on life and the way it should be lived.
Why then, hundreds of years later, do we submit to such archaic and outdated teachings? If one group of persons finds meaning in a scripture, it does not automatically fulfill the needs and understandings of a mass congregation with differing situations and lifestyles. Humans are not stock characters that can adhere to rules written in stone. How can we allow ourselves to be governed by such ancient mindsets when we constantly reevaluate our own behaviour to the appropriateness of ever changing society?
Furthermore, if we open religion to interpretation, aren’t we no better than the Europeans who used these exact scriptures to justify the enslavement of our ancestors? Personally, I can not give my support to any institution that discriminates and isolates individuals who ask for their acceptance, based purely on gender or sexual orientation. Moreover, what does it mean when the “leaders” preaching these validations not only engage in these affairs but traumatize under-age victims? When is the sanctity of religion broken? Is forgiveness as easy as confession, prayer and repentance? And if so, is our justice system needed? Would you be satisfied if a priest or pundit absolved a criminal of his sins? Do you understand the motives of Holy War?
All these questions constantly reinforce my disbeliefs in the conventions of religion and simultaneously strengthen my faith in God. Live your life with purpose, and respect, and be tolerant of other people’s cultures, lifestyles and ideas, including those who choose to follow their religion. Be responsible for the choices you make and remain aware that while you may follow your ideas, you still live in the real world. Finally, understand if don’t believe in religion, you have not abandoned God and he can hear your prayer from your bedside to the sidewalk. Religion is but a man-made state of control, and by no means a legitimate basis to dictate the suitability of one’s character or lifestyle.
RIOT for Freethought, Responsibility and Faith
By Shastri Ramlogan
“Religion is but a man-made state of control” this is something that I completely agree with, in fact your entire article hits home. I went through the same experience being raised in an overlay religious environment only to realize the same outcome. Personally I just view religion as an outdated dangerous idea
ReplyDeleteThank you. I don't deny that religion has its advantages, but people tend to adopt a "holier than thou" attitude with justification for discrimination and abuse. It is so ironic because I wrote this article just a day before a homosexual incident broke out at my alma mater, and people are quoting what the bible says about the issue, while they sit, judge and spew hate. I'm not for/against homosexuality, but the hypocrisy and contradictions are quite evident in society.
ReplyDeleteI know almost nothing about Hinduism, so I can't make any valid comments there, but I do agree that religion, as a concept, is a man-made construct.
ReplyDeleteAs an atheist, I was bound to pick up on the following statement towards the end of your well-written essay:
"understand if [you] don’t believe in religion, you have not abandoned God and he can hear your prayer from your bedside to the sidewalk."
One doesn't believe in religion, one believes in God. I reject religion because I do not believe in God, so I don't pray either.
Although I don't write much on the topic of religion, the following post sums up my position:
http://dennishodgson.blogspot.com/2010/01/knowledge-or-certainty.html
I understand your point and I think it is a valid one. I have often wondered why I still believe in God, despite having such reservations against religion. I think as someone raised in a devout household, it is just too hard to give up that concept because it so deeply rooted in my foundation.
ReplyDeleteI have a question though, purely from a curious standpoint. If you are an Atheist, do you still believe in fate? Or are you more of an existentialist?
Hey! I decided to check out your blog after your comment on mine. This post explains everything I'm beginning to find out right now. I was brought up as a Christian but not as orthodox as some would like. I am lucky enough to be raised by very educated and intelligent people who would probably agree with lots that you said in this post. I use Christianity as my base because unlike Hinduism it usually is fairly straight forward. However there are certain things that I still treat more freely than others think I should. I refuse to discriminate against gays. After, well you know about the Fatima issue, I was shocked to see society's reaction. Those who condemned these men in the name of Jesus Christ obviously know nothing of their religion because Jesus said to let the one of you who has no sin cast the first stone... apparently it applies to adulterers but not gays... right?
ReplyDeleteFirstly, thanks for stopping by!
ReplyDeleteYour response mirrors my opinion. While these people sit and judge, aren't they simultaneously committing a sin according to the Bible? Or are they saying one sin is more serious than the other? No human follows the Bible's teachings perfectly but yet some feel qualified to victimize others.
Humanity can be easily be managed if everyone followed one simple rule: Respect each other.
No problem!
ReplyDeleteand I absolutely agree with your one simple rule. Respect is the key to humanity's future.
Let's both hope that humanity realizes that sooner rather than later.
ReplyDeleteNow this is something I can talk about. Religion is so abused as a means to influence daily life, it's disgusting. More so that it actually has that control.
ReplyDeleteBtw, ur writing is so good. I was reading through it and I was like, this is exactly what I think but I could never explain myself like that. lol.
"How can we allow ourselves to be governed by such ancient mindsets when we constantly reevaluate our own behaviour to the appropriateness of ever changing society?"
That statement is brilliant. It just sums up everything. Good job!
Btw, I didn't know ur grandpa was a pundit. See, I learned something about u!
ReplyDeleteThanks again! Haha yes he was. Trust me, the things I remember teach me about myself as well.
ReplyDelete